The NS vision: Be the safest, most customer-focused, and successful transportation company in the world
Norfolk Southern believes having a vision helps create prosperity. It pushes boundaries, creates new possibilities, and challenges people to roll up their sleeves and do what it takes to achieve goals.
Whether NS is developing new safety initiatives, providing reliable truck-competitive service in more than 200 lanes, launching the Crescent Corridor — one of the fastest routes from the Southeast to the Northeast complete with 30 new intermodal lanes -- or committing to a reforestation project to plant 6 million trees, the Norfolk Southern team is working hard to fulfill the vision.
Safety is not just part of the job, it’s top priority.
NS puts safety first always -- including first mention in its corporate vision. And while NS has succeeded in being an industry leader in safety — earning numerous safety recognitions — winning awards isn’t the goal. Safety is. Providing NS employees with an injury-free work environment is what matters most.
Here are some noteworthy safety efforts:
- NS’ St. Louis Terminal—mechanical and transportation—achieved 1 million employee hours of reportable injury-free service. The St. Louis safety and service committee represented NS at the industry’s first AAR Safety Leadership Forum.
- NS provides behavior-based safety training to help improve safety and customer service. The training emphasizes using positive reinforcement to sustain safe workplace habits and support continued safety process improvements.
- NS participates in Operation Lifesaver, a national organization dedicated to eliminating highway-rail grade crossing crashes and trespasser incidents.
- NS’ “Protect the Line” reporting program makes it easier for communities, businesses, and rail fans to report issues to the police.
- The NS mobile app is an extension of the “Protect the Line” program and features the ability to track and report safety issues to company police.
We come together to achieve our goals...
...intentionally create an environment where everyone feels included
...value diversity and consider all points of view
...empower others to take ownership of their work
...forge long-term relationships built on trust
FIND A BETTER WAY
...question the status quo
...make data-driven decisions
...find innovative solutions
...invest in personal and professional growth
DO WHAT'S RIGHT
We do what we say we’re going to do...
...work safely and look out for each other
...communicate openly and honestly
...assume the best of others
...never compromise our integrity
GET IT DONE
We serve our customers...
...tackle challenges head on
...get results the right way
...hold ourselves accountable
...take pride in the work we do